[poll] What language do you use?

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.

What LEGO MindStorms programming language do you most often use?

NXT-G
16%
NXC/NBC
40%
LeJOS
8%
RobotC (NXT)
8%
RobotC (RCX)
4%
LegOS
4%
nxtOSEK
No votes
RCX-Code
4%
NQC
8%
LABView
8%

Total votes: 25

inxt-generation

[poll] What language do you use?

Post by inxt-generation »

What is the LEGO MindStorms (NXT & RCX) programming language you most often use? I just thought it'd be interesting to see what the answers are. You may select two options if you use RCX and NXT. Otherwise, please only one.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
walduss

Re: [poll] What language do you use?

Post by walduss »

I have just get my Lego kit .... By the time been NXT-G

I want to know NXT-G before change to a different language
alex-kolotov

Post by alex-kolotov »

Previously I used NXT-G and NXC a lot. But I had to get familiar with RobotC and LabView recently. So, for now I cannot say that use the last ones most often, at the same time I see that sometimes it could be quite useful to use LabView. It has standard way to execute programs on PC and has ability to work with data streams like WebCameras and Sounds. Use of RobotC is also attractive for me since RobotC provides very optimized FW - it makes sense in case when we prepare robots for different competitions like FLL and WRO.
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

We do already have a topic for this. Then again, it is pretty old, and back then I didn't use NXC, and now I prefer it over NXT-G, so it may be worth gathering more opinions... Anyway, OH! This one has RCX code! Oh man, I am never going to let go of using that programming language. Maybe I'm just biased for it because I first stared using it when I was six and everythign seemed so magical back then, but that software is SO COOL! Not only that, but simply gargantuan programs manage to run smoothly even on really old computers. All the sound effects and extra features, and bells and whistles that LEGO really, really didn't have to add, but did anyway, just because they wanted to give their users the optimal experience. Ah, the good old days...
-Hayden
inxt-generation

Post by inxt-generation »

haydenstudios wrote:We do already have a topic for this. Then again, it is pretty old, and back then I didn't use NXC, and now I prefer it over NXT-G, so it may be worth gathering more opinions... Anyway, OH! This one has RCX code! Oh man, I am never going to let go of using that programming language. Maybe I'm just biased for it because I first stared using it when I was six and everythign seemed so magical back then, but that software is SO COOL! Not only that, but simply gargantuan programs manage to run smoothly even on really old computers. All the sound effects and extra features, and bells and whistles that LEGO really, really didn't have to add, but did anyway, just because they wanted to give their users the optimal experience. Ah, the good old days...
Oh, I hadn't noticed that. And, this one has more options, RCX, and the ability to recast your vote if your preference changes! :mrgreen:

I never much cared for RCX-Code. It always seemed pretty slow and clunky to me. My RCXs sat unused for a while when I got a NXT because I was infuriated with RCX-Code, but couldn't understand NQC. I really only started using them again about 3/4 of a year ago when I got RobotC. I wish I had known how easy it was to code back before that, then I might've started with NXC/NQC, and then moved on to RobotC. Actually, pretty much the reason I chose RobotC is luck. I had decided to learn either RobotC or NXC, and it hinged on whether I won Xander's RobotC 3.0 Giveaway. And, I did. And I like it!
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

inxt-generation wrote:... and it hinged on whether I won Xander's RobotC 3.0 Giveaway. And, I did. And I like it!
Glad I could help :)

- Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

inxt-generation wrote:I never much cared for RCX-Code. It always seemed pretty slow and clunky to me.
Yeah, I'm probably just biased for it because I was introduced to it when I was six. But I don't really have my RCX do any complex equating, so I guess that's why I never looked into NQC.
-Hayden