Lego gravel

Discussion specific to projects ideas and support.
tabbycatrobots

Lego gravel

Post by tabbycatrobots »

My next project is a robot digger of some type and a robot dump truck. And, of course these will
need some type of gravel to move. I want to keep everything LEGO parts, so am pondering how to
create "gravel". I'm thinking of using 1x1 bricks, either square or round mixed with 1x1 round plates.
Before visiting the PAB wall, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has made LEGO "gravel". Thanks for any
ideas.
nxtstep101

Re: Lego gravel

Post by nxtstep101 »

tabbycatrobots wrote:My next project is a robot digger of some type and a robot dump truck. And, of course these will
need some type of gravel to move. I want to keep everything LEGO parts, so am pondering how to
create "gravel". I'm thinking of using 1x1 bricks, either square or round mixed with 1x1 round plates.
Before visiting the PAB wall, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has made LEGO "gravel". Thanks for any
ideas.
I would recommend using either the 1x1 gray bricks or the smooth flat 1x1 grey pieces. Can't wait to see the robot :D
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

If it doesn't need to be an all-Lego solution, a much cheaper alternative that I like is 6mm air soft BBs. However, they are spheres, so they wouldn't "stick" to each other, and "stack" like gravel. If you buy in large enough quantity, they usually cost $1-$2 USD per 1000. Just be careful, because they can spread out really quickly, especially with hard floors.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
h-g-t

Post by h-g-t »

Another 'non-lego' solution might be the gravel sold for fish tanks.

Should be chunky enough to stay together whilst trying to lift it.
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
tabbycatrobots

Post by tabbycatrobots »

Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought about color, but gray sounds good with maybe
some brown mixed in. I want to stay with all LEGO parts, as some AFOL conventions
prefer MOCS to be all LEGO.
I expect this to be a couple month project, so maybe by the first of 2013, I'll have
some pix to post.
kieran-pierce

Post by kieran-pierce »

If you have any of the old style friction pins that you don't use in models any more they will work very well as well, better than ripping your fingers apart every time you need to take something apart