LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Announced

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
mightor
Site Admin

Re: LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Announced

Post by mightor »

There's a subtle difference between breaking it and something simply not working reliably :)

= Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
inxt-generation

Post by inxt-generation »

mightor wrote:There's a subtle difference between breaking it and something simply not working reliably :)

= Xander
:lol:
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
aswin0

Post by aswin0 »

Did someone notice the ventilator holes on one side? Does this mean it is actively cooled? Does this mean we will soon see the first cooler mods, like we saw with pc's? :lol:
My blog: nxttime.wordpress.com
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

The speaker sound outlet?
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
jwiger
Location: Where ever the military sends me (currently Central Texas)

Post by jwiger »

I think the holes on the side are just for the speaker, I read somewhere that the speaker is supposed to be noticeably better on it than the NXT. I've also read that the EV3 is not built to communicate with the NXT, I wonder how long until a workaround is made for that... ;)
JimmyJam
"The more you know, the more you know, the less you know."
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

If the user has access to the USB host port, or if the sensor ports really are UART, it'd probably take no more than a day to a week. Oh, and it has BT, so...
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
cpapple123

Post by cpapple123 »

inxt-generation wrote:Yeah, how much extra could a integrated gyro/acceleometer possibly cost? Or Wi-Fi? I mean, seriously, even my MP3 player has Wi-Fi! I'd much rather use my USB port for something else besides Wi-Fi. Maybe It'll support a USB-hub?

But those are the only complaints I have!! Besides the price, of course. $350 is a lot :?
I have been chatting with another tech at work about this gyro idea and he came up with a good point about the gyro. You may not want the gyro located at the point of the brick but some where remotely on the robot.
inxt-generation

Post by inxt-generation »

cpapple123 wrote:
inxt-generation wrote:Yeah, how much extra could a integrated gyro/acceleometer possibly cost? Or Wi-Fi? I mean, seriously, even my MP3 player has Wi-Fi! I'd much rather use my USB port for something else besides Wi-Fi. Maybe It'll support a USB-hub?

But those are the only complaints I have!! Besides the price, of course. $350 is a lot :?
I have been chatting with another tech at work about this gyro idea and he came up with a good point about the gyro. You may not want the gyro located at the point of the brick but some where remotely on the robot.
True. But if you had both... ;)
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
bernardborg

Post by bernardborg »

About the Gyro, I believe that for robotics it is essential to be able to locate the sensor where the design commands. But I strongly believe that an accelerometer for data logging applications would benefit STEM educators.

Regarding WIFI, I am not sure if the USB host idea won't hinder in the design process or if the dongle itself would be brickish so you can stick it were you want. Still unsure if leaving a sensor port free and having WIFI is a benefit, lately I invested in two WIFI sensors dWifi and the one by benedettelli - it would be interesting to compare.

What I am surely thriving to do is essentially link the nxt wih ev 3 this provides mnd boggling ideas and surely brings to use the bricks running around at my place!
hassenplug

Post by hassenplug »

1) Doesn't work vs broken: Knowing the "support emails" both Xander and I get, if the wires will plug into both motors, people will EXPECT both motors to work, and work the same.

2) Controller/Sensor placement: there are different sides to this. Having any sensors built into the controller means the users have less control over where the sensor is located. Even an acceleration sensor could need to be oriented different than the controller.

Don't forget, adding in that sensor that only costs 10 cents to one million EV3s, really starts to add up. Assuming we all wish they would add a dollar's worth of extra sensors, imagine that instead of paying that extra dollar, you have to pay for all the sensors for the millions of sets they're going to sell. Now, we're talking quite a bit more money.

Normally, the discussion of building in sensors also leads to the discussion of NOT building in the batteries. These are all design decisions that we can second-guess. But it won't make any difference.

Steve
---> Link to lots of MINDSTORMS stuff under my picture --->