Teacher needs help: Firmware 1.31/Robot issue

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
cfehlendt

Teacher needs help: Firmware 1.31/Robot issue

Post by cfehlendt »

Advanced students completed download for the Firmware 1.31 NXT.

2 robots didn't complete the download, so once the bell rang for dismissal students unplugged robots before download was complete.

Now the robots won't turn on; but I can still hear the clicking sound that the robots made when we did the Firmware download for all the other robots.

The red light sensor remains on as well to show an issue.

The NXT programming software doesn't even recognize the robot when plugged into the USB.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! 2 groups of students are counting on me and I don't have the answers!

THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Cheers!
HaWe

Re: Teacher needs help: Firmware 1.31/Robot issue

Post by HaWe »

hi,
your NXTs seem to be still in SAMBA-mode. In this case Windows doesn't recognize the devices via USB.
if a hardware reset doesn't help (reset button underneath in a pin whole beyond the USB plug - press it for about 4 sec with an unfolded paper clip ) maybe try to download the firmware by using BCC.
h-g-t

Post by h-g-t »

A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
cfehlendt

Post by cfehlendt »

THANK YOU!!!

I held the reset and then even though the robot didn't turn on, I tried the Fireware 1.31 again and it worked!!!!

I have no idea what SAMBA is, but I wanted to SAMBA the crap out of the robots!

Cheers!
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

cfehlendt wrote:I have no idea what SAMBA is, but I wanted to SAMBA the crap out of the robots!!
didn't remember there was still a reply of John in my "Quick Guide" thread
afanofosc wrote:...The current download process is sometimes interrupted by the Windows plug-and-play "found new device" popup which slows down the communication a bit to the point where BricxCC doesn't complete the firmware download and the NXT is left in "firmware download" mode or SAMBA mode (SAM Boot Assistant). In this mode the brick clicks softly and does not respond to any button presses. Normally a second firmware download from this state will succeed since the brick is already in the right state to receive the firmware image and the right drivers have already been configured for the NXT when it is connected via USB in SAMBA mode.
John Hansen
so SAMBA stands for SAM Boot Assistant.
But - who the heck is SAM ??
:P
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)