What extras would you buy?

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
iplewis

Re: What extras would you buy?

Post by iplewis »

Just to bring this to a close, I'd like to thank you all for your suggestions, which, naturally, I completely ignored! :lol:

I ended up buying assorted technic bits on ebay (gears, thin beams, long axles, bushes - all the stuff I seemed to run out of, plus some random bits that came with them) and a second set of cables, with the idea of stripping off the outer sheath to make them more flexible (anyone tried this, by the way?), and then just accepting 'donations towards' for my birthday.

I have 2 or 3 ideas for projects which I don't need any new sensors or motors for, so at my current rate of 1 project/year, it'll be a while before I need anything like that.

Total cost £47.86 (€56.19, $72.52), in case anyone's interested....
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

Miscellaneous technic parts are a great addition to a mindstorms collection!

BTW, you can buy very flexible NXT cables from mindsensors.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
iplewis

Post by iplewis »

Yeah, I did look at those cables, but they worked out quite expensive with shipping to the UK. I also considered making my own, but sourcing the bits, modifying the crimp tool and making cables seemed like a lot of time and effort which could be better spent building robots!
sparramc

Post by sparramc »

My favorite (most used) NXT add-ons are the Mindsensors Multiplexer for NXT Motors (NXTMMX-v2), Mindsensors GlideWheel PF Motor controller for NXT, and the new Mindsensors Multiplexer for NXT Sensors.
  • With the Multiplexer for NXT Motors, you can connect 2x additional motors to your NXT. It also has a pass-through Digital Sensor Port to connect more sensors/multiplexers.
  • The GlideWheel PF Motor controller is designed to control PF motors from NXT. The controller adds an encoder to PF Motors for High Precision speed and rotation control.
  • The Multiplexer for NXT Sensors Connect up-to 4x sensors of any type to one NXT port.
Extra NXT or the older RCX Type Touch Sensors are always very handy. I prefer to use the RCX Type Touch Sensors as their size/volume is about 1/6 of the NXT ones. You will need to purchase a set of Part x1676 Electric, Converter Cable, Mindstorms NXT to allow you to connect the RCX Type Touch Sensors to the NXT. These cables also allow you to connect the older Technic Motors (43362c01 & 71427c01).

A Mindsensors Touch Sensor Multiplexer for NXT, which allows you to Connect up-to 3x NXT Touch Sensors to single NXT port is also very handy. Sadly this Multiplexer won't allow you to use RCX Type Touch Sensors.

It goes without saying, "You never have enough LEGO Technic Parts":

The BrickLink Market place is by far the best place to source all your add-on NXT and Technic parts. You have the choice of new or used parts and sets at a great price. Don't be frightened off by secondhand parts. I've purchased ten's of thousands of secondhand parts, and have yet to be disappointed. They may have the odd minor scratch, but it doesn't take too much time to add your own marks to new parts anyway.

:D Happy NXT BOTTING!
regards

Ray McNamara

www.rjmcnamara.com

'The Universe Consists of 1% Hydrogen, & the Rest is Ignorance!'