HaydenStudios LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Sumo Competition

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
haydenstudios

HaydenStudios LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Sumo Competition

Post by haydenstudios »

Hello fellow LEGO builders! It's been a while!

As you may know, the EV3 is coming out this Fall, which will eventually give the NXT the RCX's current status as the previous generation of LEGO MINDSTORMS. And when the EV3 takes the spotlight, my MINDSTORMS building career will come to an end, 'cause I've had less time to set aside for LEGO MINDSTORMS due to getting older and my life simply getting busier and gaining other hobbies. But I haven't forgotten about what once was my favorite hobby, and have temporarily returned from my hiatus before the EV3 hits the shelves so that I can go out with a bang!

I have decided to host a Sumo competition. For those of you who don't know what that is, NXT Sumo is a sport where MINDSTORMS builders create robots whose goal it is to push their opponents out of a ring without falling off themselves. To enter this competition, users must post their sumo bot in the projects section on these forums, post it in reply to this thread, or post it on the NXTLOG and include the tag: "hsnxtsumo". All entries must be submitted by July 13, 2013.

When all entries have been received, the robots will be placed in brackets, and a double-elimination-style tournament will commence. The results will be posted on youtube for all to see. Watch the video for full details on what pieces your robot can and can't use.

To see just how fun this can be, see these other videos of NXT Sumo competitions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRY6Y8OrZFk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90kFxknn224
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSI_Ldy1l2A

Participation would be appreciated!
-Hayden
inxt-generation

Re: HaydenStudios LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Sumo Competition

Post by inxt-generation »

How many NXT bricks do you actually have? Just the two from the sets? I may be able to help with the replicating and testing robots, if you need it. I have five NXTs, and more than enough sensors/motors/parts in general for this. Although that depends on what I have built/am building at the time of the testing.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

inxt-generation wrote:How many NXT bricks do you actually have? Just the two from the sets?
That's right, just two NXTs, one from a 1.0 set, and another from a 2.0 set. Hence, why I limited entries to one NXT each.
inxt-generation wrote:I may be able to help with the replicating and testing robots, if you need it. I have five NXTs, and more than enough sensors/motors/parts in general for this.
If you would be willing to help, then that would be fantastic. The idea is for the replicating and testing to take place a few days after the deadline, July 13. Depending on how involved you'd like to get, I might even lift some of the restrictions, but only if you're up for doing a lot of this. Although if your replicating were to actually count and help me, it'd have to be more than just testing, and actually do the matches that said robot is in. And in order to do this to my satisfaction, you'd need to have a ring just like mine (see the video for specifications), as well as film the necessary matches and send me the footage.

Anyway, if you're still willing to help and will have several NXTs available throughout mid July, then that would be awesome, but if you'd prefer to stay back, then that would be fine as well.
-Hayden
inxt-generation

Yes, I have several sumo rings. I don't think you should change any building stuff, as I don't have many light sensors. As I said, it depends on what I'm doing at the time, but if my LEGO is free then I can help building the robots and filming them. I'm going to Brickworld Chicago soon, and I've got a ton of stuff built/to build for that, so I don't know how much I'll have destroyed by the testing time.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

Hey guys...

In case any of you were wondering, this competition isn't going to happen. The reason for this being that I didn't get any entries. I got one yes and another maybe from some other guys, but then I didn't hear from them. I kind of thought this might happen, but another part of me wanted to at least try to get this going, so that I can at least say I tried. Anyway, sorry if I got anyone's hopes up or if you feel any time seeing this has been wasted.
-Hayden
inxt-generation

Ah well. Other stuff came up for me too. I had a few sumos made, but they didn't work out too well. I've also just started building something that has to be partially working by August 2nd. Plenty of time, I know, but I want it to be nice. :P
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.