Movement of brick

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
janblok

Movement of brick

Post by janblok »

Hello all,
When I change the speed of my NXT brick, it stops for a short while and then it goes on.
Is there a way to overcome this because I do not like it.
I am using the graphical "blocks".

Thanks , Jan.
mattallen37

Re: Movement of brick

Post by mattallen37 »

Please be much more specific than that.
Change the speed? Overclock?
You are using NXT-G?
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
janblok

Post by janblok »

janblok wrote:Hello all,
When I change the speed of my NXT brick, it stops for a short while and then it goes on.
Is there a way to overcome this because I do not like it.
I am using the graphical "blocks".

Thanks , Jan.
Well, the details.
I have a grandson who has a lot of Lego. And he is interested in technical subjects too. His age is almost nine.
I bought a Lego 8547 box with the idea that we can build machines of all kind. And a good thing is the NXT-G graphical language;
you cannot expect he will understand "C" or another language the coming several years.
So I build a kind of car that once will be a robot. And then I wrote a program to let it move on the floor.
And then I found that when you use the block -move- followed by another block -move- the brick stops for a short while and then it goes on
with the second -move- block. I can understand this somewhat because the software wants to finish the first block including brake or coast because
this is the way to be sure that when there are five wheelturns in the program, there will be five indeed.
I do not like that stopping but it is not important for me that there are exactly five wheelturns.
So the question is: is there a way to overcome that stopping between changing speed and/or making a turn while the exact number of wheelturns is not
too important.

Thanks , Jan.
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

There is no way that those, or any "normal" blocks should stop, or even much slow down an NXT. If it really is stopping, it is most likely your code.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
loopymech

Post by loopymech »

I think the answer to your problem is here: http://www.teamhassenplug.org/NXT/Unlimited/

(Not the exact same issue, but perhaps a similar cause)

Also, if you are just starting out (or if you want to see some new ways to do things), this is an excellent tutorial: http://www.ortop.org/NXT_Tutorial/

cheers!
-loopy

"lego my lego!" <---- I have kids; they still think I buy this stuff for them! haha
ronmcrae

Post by ronmcrae »

janblok wrote:
janblok wrote:Hello all,
So the question is: is there a way to overcome that stopping between changing speed and/or making a turn while the exact number of wheelturns is not
too important.
If a move block is set to a fixed distance or time then the program will wait at that block until it is done before it even looks at the next block. When a fixed time or distance move block ends it stops the motors.

However if you set a move block to unlimited your program will start the motors and immediately continue on to the next block. That means the next block (block 2) in your program can be a wait for rotation counter block, watching for the rotation sensor on one of the motors (wheels) to reach some distance. Once that happens the program will move onto the third block which can set the speed or direction to some different value from block one. Note with that arrangement the motor(s) will go straight from the speed in block 1 to the speed in block 3 without stopping.

Ron.
janblok

Post by janblok »

If a move block is set to a fixed distance or time then the program will wait at that block until it is done before it even looks at the next block. When a fixed time or distance move block ends it stops the motors.

However if you set a move block to unlimited your program will start the motors and immediately continue on to the next block.

Ron.
That is the trick. It now works fine. Thanks Ron.

Jan.