Alternative graphical programming environment -- Enchanting

Discussion specific to projects ideas and support.
dudmaster

Re: Alternative graphical programming environment -- Enchanting

Post by dudmaster »

Well, i did but it said "Canceled!"... i'll try Chrome instead of Firefox
2Labz.com, My Website
clinton10

Post by clinton10 »

Let us know how it goes, Dud.

If you are using Windows, there is a really nice installer to use after you've installed the Java Developer's Kit. If you are on the Mac, things aren't too bad, but I could zip up my LeJOS environment and send it to you, if you would like. If you are on Linux, you'll need to use your installer to get a JDK and you may need some build tools.

In any case, the instructions at http://lejos.sourceforge.net/nxt/nxj/tu ... tarted.htm will put you in good stead for setting up your LeJOS environment, and, Xander pointed you in the right direction for the downloads. (Thanks, Xander).

Cheers,
Clinton
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

to make it easy to install for kids as well I would suggest to build an installer who does completely all of the installing job, e.g. also install all of the Java stuff one needs.
Everything else is too complicated for kids to my opinion.
(kids=12? 13? 14?)
clinton10

Post by clinton10 »

I agree that it is too difficult for kids (kids = 9+) to install (and for non-technical parents to install) at this time. I may be able to bundle LeJOS with the system, but I do not believe I can include the JDK.
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

then I doubt it would work for them.
I once had kids at 10+ working with RIS on XP which needed to install an XP fix. No chance, the CD setup part worked for them of course (autorun), but the additional fix had to be installed by the teachers. A batch or sript file which first installs the JDK and then the rest maybe could help.
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

PS:
be sure that your JAVA SDK/LEJOS installation sets all paths and includes or what ever automatically correctly so that no manual changes or entries have to be made ...
clinton10

Post by clinton10 »

That is an interesting idea -- a Windows installer that offers to download and run the JDK installer. I imagine it would require administrator rights to the machine. One of the chief advantages of including LeJOS with Enchanting would be that sane defaults for all the environment variables could be provided so that users would not need to know what an environment variable is or how to set it.

(On the Mac, disregarding OS X 10.7, which is an unknown at this point, the JDK comes installed. On Linux, the user will need to install it in whatever manner works with their package manager. In either case, having LeJOS precompiled, bundled, and with defaults for the environment variables is a plus in my mind.)
dudmaster

Post by dudmaster »

Well, i did download when i tried, but windows kept saying "File Harmful" and closing it. I'm 11, and i have installed millions of program directly (not just pretty installers)

EDIT: Usin' XP
2Labz.com, My Website
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

It's anything but harmful. I've installed Lejos many times before and never had an issue.

- Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
dudmaster

Post by dudmaster »

What do i do? i can't run it.
2Labz.com, My Website