IMU sensor feat. digital motion processing

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
HaWe

IMU sensor feat. digital motion processing

Post by HaWe »

hey,
is there a IMU sensor for the NXT available which internally calculates and returns absolute xpos, ypos, zpos, xspeed, yspeed, zspeed, Roll, Pitch, Yaw by a 9-dim vector ?
(e.g., featuring digital motion processing from internally gyro and accelerometer readings combined by smart stochastic filterings,
not isolated (raw) gyro and/or accelerometer readings,
thus no need for calculations by a NXT program)
aswin0

Re: IMU sensor feat. digital motion processing

Post by aswin0 »

Hey Doc,

There is no such a beast for the NXT.
There is an IMU that does just this for about $200 that has SPI output, but I cannot remember its name.

There are also some I2C based MEMS sensors that claim to do this but that are not available for hobbyists like us. The MPU-9150 is one of them. But there is no documentation that discloses its functionality. The iNemo-M1 is another one, this one however is still not available to the public.

Aswin
My blog: nxttime.wordpress.com
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

hey aswin,
I asked since I read about the MPU-6050
(edit: link is broken)
http://www.exp-tech.de/Sensoren/IMU/
It seems to have some, but not all the features which would be wishful (not sure that I didn't miss any information, and admittedly, not understanding everything what they are saying)...
here is what I found about the obviously quite similar MPU-9150:
http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/dat ... -9150A.pdf
Last edited by HaWe on 10 Aug 2013, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
aswin0

Post by aswin0 »

Doc,

The MPU-6050 is the little brother of the MPU-9150. The MPU-6050 has an accelerometer and a gyro (6DOF) and the ability to act as a master for an external 3DOF compass sensor. It also has an motion processing unit that should be able to combine the output of all these sensors in a smart way (Kalman, NLC filter ?) to get a drift free high quality output. The motion processing unit however is not documented. Nobody seems to be able to tell how to make it work.

MPU-9150 is an MPU-6050 with an on chip compass senor. Again the MPU is not documented.

People are really pissed with the lack of documentation of these chips, especially as the MPU is used as a unique selling point.

Aswin
My blog: nxttime.wordpress.com
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

clear words.
what is this kind of a stupid business model?
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

is there meanwhile any news about accessing the digital motion processing of MPU-6050 or the MPU-9150?
(or any other DMP-capable IMU sensor?)
ridge-runner

Post by ridge-runner »

This Microinfinity IMU/Gyro has both USB and RS-232 interfaces, maybe it can be interfaced to the EV3 Brick.
http://www.minfinity.com/eng/page.php?M ... ub=1&tab=4
John
inxt-generation

Post by inxt-generation »

ridge-runner wrote:This Microinfinity IMU/Gyro has both USB and RS-232 interfaces, maybe it can be interfaced to the EV3 Brick.
http://www.minfinity.com/eng/page.php?M ... ub=1&tab=4
John
That's 2/3rd the price of an EV3 set...
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

@ ridge-runner :
The CruizCore XG1350 doesn't have any digital motion processing - AFAIK -, it's just is an inertial gyro (except this, an i2c interface is needed for use with NXT or EV3).

My question was definitely about digital motion processing like MPU-6050 / MPU-9150 are supposed to have (you know what that means?).