EV3 network programming in C?

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
wilblack

EV3 network programming in C?

Post by wilblack »

Hi all,
I am new to the Mindstorm community and the the Mindboards. I have a couple of questions about programming the EV3.
So far, I have used the free LabView Mindstorm Home Edition software to write some simple programs. I must say I am not impressed with the programing environment. I am a web developer and I want to be able to write code in a text editor, not move blocks around, plus there doesn't seem to be the functionality I am looking for there. So my first questions is how can I write code for the EV3 brick? I have seen robotC but they don't yet support EV3. Are there any other options? I am assume that any programming would be in C.

Secondly,would robotC or some alternative environment give me access to bluetooth and HTTP functionality?

I also have a Raspberry Pi set up with a BrickPi. I would like the Raspberry Pi to be able to talk to the EV3 brick, preferably over Wi-Fi using web-sockets but bluetooth could work. Has any one looked into this?

Thanks in advanced.
-Wil.
mightor
Site Admin

Re: EV3 network programming in C?

Post by mightor »

It's a Linux system, so network programming is totally possible. You'll have to do some of the heavy lifting yourself or port one of the many, many libraries out there to it.

I am not aware of any plans for ROBOTC to support network programming, but that's not to say that it won't happen. It will support Bluetooth and all that stuff, of course.

Regards,
Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

If Java is an option you may want to consider leJOS. We have a full Java 7 SE embedded stack which has all of the standard networking classes. The SD card we uses supports TCP over both USB (no dongle required just the standard Lego cable) and Bluetooth connections (via PAN) as well as WiFi.
broija

Post by broija »

Hi,

You can build and run C code on the EV3 brick using the CodeSourcery G++ Lite toolchain and CMake. I can send you simple files to get started if you're interested.

I guess you could also use Qt (a C++ framework). You'll have to build the libraries for your brick. You can check my blog, I wrote a tutorial that explains how to do so:

http://broija.blogspot.fr/2013/11/compi ... torms.html

Qt supports TCP, I made a simple application to test if it would work on the EV3 and it actually works. You could easily communicate with your Raspberry Pi. Qt also supports HTTP and many other things.

Regards,

B.