Pros and cons of the different prototype boards?

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
azhepcat

Pros and cons of the different prototype boards?

Post by azhepcat »

I'm looking at the 2 boards from Mindsensors and the one from Hytechnic. I'm leaning towards the Hytechnic board mostly because it plugs into a breadboard. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thomas
mattallen37

Re: Pros and cons of the different prototype boards?

Post by mattallen37 »

Well, what do you want to be able to do? That should help you decide, or help us show you.

How much electrical background do you have? Have you been building circuits on breadboards before? What about other electronics?

If you just need IO pins, get the PCF8574, but if you need analog, then your best bet is probably the PCF8491. Both of these are MUCH MUCH cheaper than the HT prototype board, so if you have a good background, then I would suggest you just get the ICs. You can get them for under $10 (about $3 each, plus shipping).

If you don't have the background, then maybe you should consider the HiTechnic Experimenter's Kit found here http://www.hitechnic.com/cgi-bin/commer ... ey=NPA1058. With this kit, you should be able to learn quite a lot.

If you are after accomplishing a specific electrical/NXT task, perhaps you could enlighten us a little.

Oh, and BTW, you can use the PCF8574 IC to do IO, and the analog pin on the sensor port as an ADC. In this way, you sort of have one ADC as well as 8 IO lines, and the IC's only cost like $2 each. Please note though, that you can only update/read the 8574 OR read the ADC at a given moment, but you can switch modes fairly quickly.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
azhepcat

Post by azhepcat »

What I'm trying to do is just trigger a camera shutter. I didn't mention that because I didn't want to base my decision on one specific task. I have very little electronics background which is pushing me toward the experimenters kit, although someone said in another thread that they didn't really learn much from doing the examples. Go figure.

How about the NXT-G blocks? Any differences between the two? Is one easier to use or more versatile than the other?
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

The experimenter's kit is really great. However, in order to get the most from it, you will need to do a little bit of additional research into the individual components yourself. It's not really all that different from learning anything else. The kit will get you started on your journey to becoming a master tinkerer :) I've never used the NXT-G blocks but I did help with the creation of the Experimenter's kit. They're really fun experiments and some of them will definitely be applicable to your specific need. The other experiments may end up inspiring you to come with new ideas to trigger your camera :)

- Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

azhepcat wrote:What I'm trying to do is just trigger a camera shutter. I didn't mention that because I didn't want to base my decision on one specific task. I have very little electronics background which is pushing me toward the experimenters kit, although someone said in another thread that they didn't really learn much from doing the examples. Go figure.

How about the NXT-G blocks? Any differences between the two? Is one easier to use or more versatile than the other?
If that is all you want to do for now, then you should be able to use a 4066 and use one of several options to trigger it.

1 I2C interface as you are talking of using
2 motor output
3 analog pin toggled from passive to active
4 sensor pin 5, and trigger it like you would the light on a light sensor

If you want to learn basic electronics, then you should get a lab, not the HT experimenters kit. Since you don't seem to know all that much about analog electronics and such, then you really need to learn more about them before attempting to interface them with the NXT.

It was a long time of building circuits (I had built flashers, dice, games, and tons more) before I connected any of my own home brewed stuff with my RCX's (I didn't have an NXT at the time). You really need to know what you are doing before attempting to do too much with NXT interfacing.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
nxtreme

Post by nxtreme »

mattallen37 wrote:If you want to learn basic electronics, then you should get a lab, not the HT experimenters kit. Since you don't seem to know all that much about analog electronics and such, then you really need to learn more about them before attempting to interface them with the NXT.

It was a long time of building circuits (I had built flashers, dice, games, and tons more) before I connected any of my own home brewed stuff with my RCX's (I didn't have an NXT at the time). You really need to know what you are doing before attempting to do too much with NXT interfacing.
Sorry Matt but I sort of disagree here. I have a basic electronics kit and used it quite a bit before the time of the NXT. However, I didn't really "get it" until the NXT came along and I started making my own sensors (thanks to the Extreme NXT book). Once I started making my own sensors and playing with LEDs (Never put 9V through an LED :), I know what happens!) it all "clicked". If azhepcat thinks that he/she's willing to invest time in electronics then I think the HiTechnic Experimenters kit is a great place to start. There is plenty of info online and 99% of the questions that beginners will have are answered there. Wikipedia and Google are your friends!
One King to rule them all, One King to find them,
One King to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
On Earth where Shadows lie.