Looking for Direction on a Bluetooth Project

Discussion specific to projects ideas and support.
jamesmryan

Looking for Direction on a Bluetooth Project

Post by jamesmryan »

I'm a new NXT-G developer. Various utilities (android and pc based) available allow you to control an NXT robot via bluetooth. For my project I'm looking to introduce a fixed delay into the bluetooth controls. I was hoping it would be as simple as a small NXT-G program that would infinitely loop with a fixed time delay inside the loop. Being a little too simple I expected that I might have to trap bluetooth commands and relay them to the robot. I fully expected my first attempt to loop and ignore bluetooth commands because the program never tells it to do anything. I created the program and ran it only to fine is the utilities seem to bypass the program altogether. I must be missing something in terms of how the utilities interact with the robot. Can someone explain to me what I'm missing?

I'd like to keep the delay on the robot side (NXT-G) and not the utility side (andriod or pc). This allows me to actually write NXT-G code and not muck with a utility.

Confused,
Jim
hassenplug

Re: Looking for Direction on a Bluetooth Project

Post by hassenplug »

Jim,

I assume you're using an Android utility like the Minddroid remote. These programs generally run without a program running on the NXT. They use "Direct Commands", where the firmware directly processes the commands. Another option would be to have a program that reads Bluetooth commands, and converts them to commands used by the firmware. (but this is NOT how most remote control programs work)

Basically, this means you can't do it the way you are trying to do it. Your options are (1) Change the external android app {hard} or (2) Change the firmware {Very hard}.

And, it seemed like such an easy project, didn't it...

Steve
---> Link to lots of MINDSTORMS stuff under my picture --->