Homebrew Sound Sensor

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
mattallen37

Re: Homebrew Sound Sensor

Post by mattallen37 »

I doubt you are too young to start learning electronics. I don't know how old you are, but I was probably about 8-10 when I started with the basics (555, transistors, LEDs...). This kit is what I got that really gave my a good start with electronics. I use the console for building circuits on, even now. I often use the IC's for my projects. The wires I use almost all the time. I still use the books for reference. It has been a great kit. Another one that I got, the Sensor Lab taught my quite a bit, but I would only get this one as a complement to the main one (get the main one first).

I don't know how much you have to pay for the lego sound sensors on eBay, but I have seen them sell for less than $8 with shipping. You really just need to watch for the right one. I have seen them sell for $30 or more, and I have seen ones that ended at $10 with no bids... Really though, the sound sensor is quite useless for me. I think I have 2 or 3, and have maybe used one once.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
novicesmml

Post by novicesmml »

Wow 8-10 I am 13 and i dont know anything (where you considered the smartest kid in your class?)is it the same if i buy that kit used? on ebay its 16$ used. Is it for someone who doesnt know anything? Is it worth the wait?
Right now the only Lego Sound Sensor on ebay is like 30-35$ buy it now.
Thanks

P.S I can take 1 of your sound sensors of your hands
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

I am home-schooled, so I guess I was among the top 7 (I have 6 siblings) :) Used should be just fine, just make sure it has all the parts and isn't broken. Yes, it is for someone who has no idea how to even use a 555. The kit covers everything from the very beginning up through building logic gates, and beyond to things like digital counters... It also covers some of the analog stuff. I am not sure what "wait" you are talking about.

You need to watch for a while. When I "need" a sensor, I often watch eBay for a least a month or 6 until I find the right one. You could also watch Bricklink. Right now, the cheapest is too much, but you might fide one if you put it on your "wanted list".

I don't really care if get one from me, I almost never use them (I confirmed that I have 3). I'm not sure what country you live in, but most are fairly easy to ship to.
Matt

novicesmml

Post by novicesmml »

the wait is till it gets here (i live in colombia)
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

Well, almost everything in life you have to wait for. Does that mean you should just forget about everything? It is definitely worth the few weeks waiting time to get the electronics lab, IMHO.
Matt