Idea: Visual NXC

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
h-g-t

Re: Idea: Visual NXC

Post by h-g-t »

To avoid hijacking this discussion, I have started another thread on the subject of an NXC code library -
NXC Code library - would it work?
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
nxtreme

Post by nxtreme »

mattallen37 wrote:Actually, NXC commands are very straight forward for the most part. Just as easy as Arduino. They are different of course, as you don't write the IO pins high and low or read them, directly (different set of commands). It is very much the same concepts though.
What I meant was that there are very many libraries for the Arduino. There are libraries for almost every imaginable purpose, and they are quite easy to find. Though I don't program NXC, I haven't seen a huge amount of libraries being distributed, like with Arduino. While many functions are built into NXC commands, like taking sensor readings for example, there isn't such a huge amount of libraries made for one purpose; stuff like Wii Nunchuck (AFAIK), Bluetooth GPS (again, AFAIK), HiTechnic products (although most of them are now supported) and other such things. Mr. Mighty Mightor's RobotC libraries are a perfect example of what I'm talking about; something similar for NXC would probably be quite popular.

Keep in mind that I don't know terribly much about NXC and all so take this with a grain of salt...

-EDIT- Sorry, this should have gone in the NXC Libraries thread that h-g-t mentioned.
One King to rule them all, One King to find them,
One King to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
On Earth where Shadows lie.
sidneys1

Post by sidneys1 »

Whether the project is misguided or not, I'm still at least prototyping it :) It's good practice, which I need.

I've updated the UI a little (from yesterday's build, which only a few people on IRC saw...)

I moved the menus up into the title bar for Vista/7 users, which I think is much more aesthetically pleasing. I've also made the "View Generated NXC Code" button's shortcut F5, which is typically "Build".

Also, the tab bar is pretty much complete. For tabs that extend off-screen, you now have a handy menu. It's fully mouse-enabled too. (That took ages to implement... :evil: )

And I think things are progressing nicely :) 1,617 lines of code so far :D

Have a nice day,
~Sidneys1
My Mindstorms website: http://sidneys1.com
sidneys1

Post by sidneys1 »

I also designed a logo, loosely based off of the NXC logo: Image

ImageImageImageImage

Have a nice day,
~Sidneys1
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

Wow, I must've underestimated your skillz. ;) That's looking great so far.

Where'd you get the Visual Studio icons? What framework are you using? Will Visual NXC be open source? If so, where're you going to put the repositories?

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
sidneys1

Post by sidneys1 »

muntoo wrote:Wow, I must've underestimated your skillz. ;) That's looking great so far.

Where'd you get the Visual Studio icons? What framework are you using? Will Visual NXC be open source? If so, where're you going to put the repositories?
I am using .NET 4.0, and VS2010 Pro comes with the VS Icons. (I have Pro via MS Dreamspark) Yes, I am planning on making it semi-open source.. The UI code doesn't really need to be released, but we'll see. When I do release the source it will be on SourceForge.

Have a nice day,
~Sidneys1
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

I am impressed. I to didn't realize to what extent you could take this. While I still don't really think it is necessary, it is looking very good. Also, make sure you have the compilers and defs libraries not included. That will allow for easy/instant upgrades to the latest version of NXC/NBC.

Really great work!
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
sidneys1

Post by sidneys1 »

mattallen37 wrote:I am impressed. I to didn't realize to what extent you could take this. While I still don't really think it is necessary, it is looking very good. Also, make sure you have the compilers and defs libraries not included. That will allow for easy/instant upgrades to the latest version of NXC/NBC.

Really great work!
Not quite sure what you mean about the compilers and def libraries, could you elaborate?

Also, I've been working on the Enumeration Editor:
ImageImage

Have a nice day,
~Sidneys1
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

Instead of implementing them directly into the program, you should put them in a directory so they can be changed out with the newest versions. It will allow people to update the SW whenever a new NXC/NBC version comes out, instead of waiting for you to update it.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
sidneys1

Post by sidneys1 »

mattallen37 wrote:Instead of implementing them directly into the program, you should put them in a directory so they can be changed out with the newest versions. It will allow people to update the SW whenever a new NXC/NBC version comes out, instead of waiting for you to update it.
Ah, I see. I was not planning on implementing the defs directly, they were always meant to be a seperate file. Also, it will (hopefully) automatically detect if BricxCC is installed and use the compiler/defs there.

Have a nice day,
~Sidneys1