Mindstorm NXT Software Requirements

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
ozzie88

Mindstorm NXT Software Requirements

Post by ozzie88 »

Hi,

I'm really interested in getting the NXT 2.0, however I'm seeing mixed information about OS requirements.

Can someone please confirm what are the OS requirements for this system?

I current have a laptop with XP 32 bit and another with Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks!
muntoo

Re: Mindstorm NXT Software Requirements

Post by muntoo »

It'll definitely work on the 32-bit XP laptop, but I don't know about the 64-bit Windows 7.

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

I have run it on Win 7 64-bit without a problem.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
ozzie88

Post by ozzie88 »

Thank for the quick replies Matt/Muntoo.

Matt, for Windows 7-64, is the software good to go out of the box or are there some specific drivers/firmware that I need to download prior to installing the NXT software?

Thanks again.
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

No, the NXT-G software will do all of it for you. I have NXT-G running on a 64bit Windows 7 laptop as well.

- Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

It worked without any issues. However, the phantom drivers needed to be updated/replaced for all my NXTs to work. Before, only one of them worked. Now I have no issues at all. You can download the drivers from the ROBOTC website. Also note, that I started with NXT-G 1.0, but 2.0 might have the right drivers automatically. IIRC, it was super easy to update.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
h-g-t

Post by h-g-t »

I have it working on a 500 mhz laptop with 512 mb ram running 32-bit XP Home and a 4gb desktop with 64-bit Win 7 Home Premium. No problems as long as you install the latest Fantom driver.
Last edited by h-g-t on 04 Apr 2011, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
ozzie88

Post by ozzie88 »

Guys.

Thanks a lot for the info. Really appreciate it.
sparramc

Post by sparramc »

I personally run a 32Bit MS Windows XP IN-A-Box ;)) as a Virtual Machine Guest in VirtualBox on my 64Bit PC, running amd64 LinuxMint as my Operating System. I did run into a couple of issues with 64Bit MS Windows XP Guest with NXT-G, 18 months+ ago before returning to a 32Bit WinXP Guest. I'm confident the latest version of VirtualBox has solved these issues.

I find that WinXP, run as a Linux guest is far more reliable than ran native. If your WinXP Guest crashes, you only loose the Guest & not Linux. The WinXP Guest can be restart again in a few seconds (10-15sec) back to where you were. Absolute Bliss!

You can also use VirtualBox on a Mac to run Windows as well!

More Information on getting your Windows based NXT Software working in VirtualBox on Linux, visit: www.rjmcnamara.com

The MS Windows XP Guest will happily Run all my 32Bit MS Windows based LEGO Mindstorms Software, including LEGO's NXT-G & Digital Designer software, plus BricxCC, RobotC, RoboLab 2.54, & Robotics Invention System 2.0. Too name just a few.

The Speed, Reliability & Security of Linux, with all my Windows based LEGO Mindstorms software available to me inside Linux.

I also use Linux version of Not eXactly C (NXC) and NeXT Tools for Linux NXC development. For LeJOS, (Java for Mindstorms) I use Linux for the IDE, Compiling & Uploading to the NXT.
regards

Ray McNamara

www.rjmcnamara.com

'The Universe Consists of 1% Hydrogen, & the Rest is Ignorance!'