LEGO Digital Designer

Share your building instructions or ask questions about constructing your robot
arqetype

Re: LEGO Digital Designer

Post by arqetype »

linearactuator wrote:I think you just need to drag the folder where LDD is installed onto your Desktop and run the ldd executable from there.
(Note: it would be good if someone could reconfirm this!)
I tried this but it didn't help. It still crashes. I'll first check it out some more on my Admin-account...
One and one makes eleven.
arqetype

Re: LEGO Digital Designer on Mac OSX

Post by arqetype »

OK, I contacted Lego Support about this and they told me this:
Unfortunately administrator rights are needed on Mac OS systems in order to run the application.
So LDD simply works this way. :o
I chose the simple solution. I gave myself administrator rights on my Mac :D
But quite frankly I don't think this is good practice...
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

Is this a solution: http://interfacethis.com/2001/run-os-x-apps-as-root/ ?

That would allow you to login with your normal account and just run LDD as root through sudo.

- Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
arqetype

Post by arqetype »

This is getting funny :D

Trying to see if your suggestion works, Mightor, I found that I can launch LDD as a regular user without administrator rights. I guess you only need full rights when you launch LDD for the first time. That's when it builds up the bricks library. After that you don't need full rights anymore.
I've opened up a few models and played around with them a bit, and everything seems to work fine.
Really strange!
So there's no need to use sudo, which is after all still a bit adventurous.

Thanks for the tip anyway.
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

Advertising:

If you get Google Sketchup, you can use these Sketchup Parts for Mindstorms with all the other Technic Models by paytonrwhite.

I haven't tried it, but combine it with the SketchyPhysics plugin, and you can have a simulation of your robot, and even use a little bit of script to control it a bit! You can't test your code (NXT-G, NXC, RobotC, etc), of course, but if you know some Ruby...

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
rghansen

Post by rghansen »

I finally took the time to learn LDD. It was well worth the effort. After watching the tutorials and about an hour of practice, I can now make a LDD model about as quickly as I can build a real model. Although it's not perfect, except for an initial speed bump, it's surprisingly easy to use.

The only serious problem I had was figuring out how to join a liftarm to a servo motor. Neither the tutorials nor the internet gave any useful hints about how to bring the parts together. I finally figured out that you have to insert the pins before trying to join the parts even if in real life the pin would have to be inserted afterwards. But once I figured that out, it was a snap to insert the pins and move the second part around until it "snapped" into place. A piece of cake.

By the way, I'm currently running the latest release of LDD 4.1.6 on my iMac 10.6.5.
bungeshea

Help with LDD

Post by bungeshea »

I can't get LDD working on my Windows XP Home Ed laptop. It installed fine, but when I click on the icon, nothing happens! :( Does anyone know how I can fix it? I was using an Admin account,and I have already tried reinstalling it.
pavementpilot

Post by pavementpilot »

I use LDD4. I like it. Once I figured out how to rotate gears and axles, it got better. Now I just need to figure out rubber bands. BTW does anyone know how to readjust the POV? I know right mouse button and move mouse, but sometimes what I am trying to view cant be seen properly, and when I zoom in, it goes off screen. I have tried many times to choose a diffferent POV and zoom, but that isnt working for me either.

I sent off an email to LDD programmers asking that custom parts bins be allowed by the user, so when designing, it will give you a running tally of parts left in your personal collection. They like the idea and said it will be put to the design team for the next update.
The definition of insanity is doing a repeated task over and over again, but expecting a different outcome everytime
bungeshea

LDD LEGO Universe Mode

Post by bungeshea »

One day browsing the Eurobricks Forums, I discovered that you can unlock unofficial parts in LDD. (May not be MINDSTORMS based.) Read the article here.
jojoguy14

Re: Help with LDD

Post by jojoguy14 »

studbrickmaster wrote:I can't get LDD working on my Windows XP Home Ed laptop. It installed fine, but when I click on the icon, nothing happens! :( Does anyone know how I can fix it? I was using an Admin account,and I have already tried reinstalling it.
I read somewhere (and have done it myself) that you have to COMPLETELY wipe out all of LDD. Uninstall it AND remove the installation folder. I think that's all you have to delete. Then just reinstall it and it should run fine. If not, I think you have to delete the App Data folder for it too.

Hope this helps! (It worked for me)

jojoguy10
Creator of LEGO-X TechN'XT! (http://lego-x.com http://techn-xt.blogspot.com)
Known as jojoguy10