NeXT Commander 0.4.1.0 released

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.

If I added an automatic updates feature, would you use it?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 7

afanofosc
Site Admin

Re: NeXT Commander 0.4.1.0 released

Post by afanofosc »

I didn't say anything at all even remotely close to what h-g-t or pavementpilot suggest I was saying.

I see no point and would not, myself, reinvent the wheel and I see no benefit to the small LEGO MINDSTORMS community in doing so.

On the other hand, I do see a lot of point to joining forces to make something good and widely used even better and more beneficial to the small LEGO MINDSTORMS community.

How is fragmentation good? How do fewer users of BricxCC encourage me to make it better? If people cease using my tools I will cease supporting them. I'm not getting anything out of this other than the good feeling inside from helping other people. There has to be a critical mass to power the reactor.

John Hansen
Multi-platform LEGO MINDSTORMS programming
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

afanofosc wrote:...How is fragmentation good? How do fewer users of BricxCC encourage me to make it better? If people cease using my tools I will cease supporting them. I'm not getting anything out of this other than the good feeling inside from helping other people. There has to be a critical mass to power the reactor.

John Hansen
Well, I haven't even thought of replacing BCC or all those other tools you support :D Please do continue to support them ;)

The only time I choose to put down a tool for another, is if the other one is what I need at the time, but I never throw away tools just for newer ones.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
h-g-t

Post by h-g-t »

I think BCC and NXC is a great bit of kit, which I recommend at every opportunity. I am immensely grateful to John Hansen for setting it up, continuing development and assisting users in every way.

But what if someone had persuaded him we had too many systems for the NXT already and he should work on RobotC or OnBrick instead, even if he had to learn a new programming language?

I don't see the Commander program as competition, just proof that people are still thinking about different approaches to the way things are done, which can only be good for all of us. Without such thinking we would never have had advances such as Schodets marvellous new motor control. Indeed, without that adventurous spirit and perseverance we would not have had BCC either.
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.