what should i add?

Share your building instructions or ask questions about constructing your robot
themindstormman

what should i add?

Post by themindstormman »

I am making a super treaded vehicle. right now it uses the lego plastic treads to move but, i can't think of a use for the other 4 motors (2 nxt's on it). does anyone have any ideas with pictures, ldds or just ideas. the earlier the better. i was thinking if i could steal a zamor shooter from my friend i could have duel zamors but, i still need 3 more things. the design is a large vehicle with basically hollow inside and <_____> shaped treads. it has a bit too much weight on the back so more on the front would be better. it is designed to be a rock crawler tank (even though it gets no traction with the plastic treads) that i can show off to my friends outdoors. i has 2 in. of ground clearance. any ideas?
Themindstormman3141
Website admin of themindstormman3141.com
NXT FOR ALL
mattallen37

Re: what should i add?

Post by mattallen37 »

You could add another motor to each drive for more driving power.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

Another idea: remove one of the NXTs ;)
Matt

hassenplug

Post by hassenplug »

Think Wall-e.
---> Link to lots of MINDSTORMS stuff under my picture --->
themindstormman

i have already made a wall-e type thing but, i have already made a wall-e. but, i could put arms on the outside and use them as extra legs like a gorilla.

taking off an nxt would be hard because its a STURDY (like really strong right now) rock crawler.

and i think extra power would be a good idea but, i have no room for one because the motors are close together.

i'm not trying to bag on all your ideas if it sounds like that.
Themindstormman3141
NXT FOR ALL
nxtreme

Post by nxtreme »

To get some added traction for the treads, you could add some 1x1 studs. I went to a Lego store and got around 500 green 1x1 studs at the Pick-A-Brick wall. Then, I spent half an hour sticking little studs onto the tank tracks. It makes it noisier, and the studs will fall off at times, but it turns better and has a lot better grip that way. Just make sure to go over the tracks every once in a while and make sure that all the studs are well secured.

It appears as if you can get them for one US cent apiece on Bricklink, which means you could outfit most tanks with two or three dollars, plus shipping, if there is no minimum order for the store you buy from.

-EDIT- Fixed some grammer stuff. Hiking is always tiring... and then my brain doesn't work... :)
One King to rule them all, One King to find them,
One King to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
On Earth where Shadows lie.
loopymech

Post by loopymech »

how about adding some sensors on a swivel head, as in the "Explorer"? http://www.nxtprograms.com/NXT2/explorer/index.html

I made a few variations on the Explorer theme; one had a light sensor on a motor-driven swivel such that it would scan about 60 deg each side off-center. I wrote programs to make the bot steer toward the brightest light and vice-versa.

another cool add would be a motorized auto-leveling system for the chassis. But that would take some serious redesigning/rebuilding of the foundation I suspect. Not to mention a tilt sensor.

happy building!

-Loopy
themindstormman

loopymech wrote:how about adding some sensors on a swivel head

-Loopy
I like that idea. i might put 2 ultrasonic sensors on the left and right of the front.
as for the leveling system that might be a little complicated and i only have 5 days.
Themindstormman3141
NXT FOR ALL
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

If you have 2 ultrasonic sensors, you will need to use them in single-shot mode so they don't interfere.

What is the time deadline based on? A challenge on the NXTlog?

Also, please don't use dead spoilers.
Matt

themindstormman

its a school event.
Themindstormman3141
NXT FOR ALL