HELLPPP!! Somthing wrong with my nxt screen!

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
lizard381

Re: HELLPPP!! Somthing wrong with my nxt screen!

Post by lizard381 »

Just to reiterate what's already been said, I had the same issue, I contacted Lego last week, and the (free) replacement got to me in exactly 1 week, it might be the best customer service interaction I've ever had!

Kami
I haven't grown past my playing with Legos stage and I don't think I want to :)
Blog: http://nuhlikklebickle.blogspot.com
Kami
i-fixed-it-44

Post by i-fixed-it-44 »

I got my new NXT they were happy to replace it,it got to me in three days :)
Some projects are good others aren't,but everybody's a critic.
Vincent,On Lego.com known as MindstormsMonster
..::..:::I_Fixed_It_44:::..::..
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

That is great news! LEGO support is great :)

- Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

i-fixed-it-44 wrote:I got my new NXT they were happy to replace it,it got to me in three days :)
I'm curious as to wether they have you send them your defective NXT. Because if they let you keep it, wouldn't someone be able to get a new NXT, then solder their older NXT as shown in the video that h-g-t posted a link to, and just get an extra NXT for free? :lol:
-Hayden
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

Potentially, yes. However, what's that to Lego? Out of all the people with "bad" NXTs, probably less than 1% even know there is a way to fix them. Even less people would actually do it.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
dimasterooo

Post by dimasterooo »

I had to send them mine, but I didn't have the receipt... so I'm not sure if you gotta if you got the receipt
- Leon Overweel (aka. dimastero/ dimasterooo)

My blog: http://www.leonoverweel.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LayOn_OverWhale
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

mattallen37 wrote:Potentially, yes. However, what's that to Lego? Out of all the people with "bad" NXTs, probably less than 1% even know there is a way to fix them. Even less people would actually do it.
"What's that to Lego?". To LEGO, that would be stealing $150.00! Even if only one person in the world performed this deception, would that make it any more legal? I wouldn't think so. Though I won't deny that it would be a small enough problem for Lego to just ignore it.
dimasterooo wrote:I had to send them mine, but I didn't have the receipt... so I'm not sure if you gotta if you got the receipt
Well, there you go. Then you could have a defective NXT, have LEGO replace it and provide your receipt so you get to keep your old one. After that, If you, like me, have a dad that would be willing to lend you his soldering kit, (or if you are 18 or older and have your own,) then you could repair the screen and would have gotten an extra NXT from Lego for free. While Lego would not grieve to hard over just $150.00 lost, that would not necessarily make my theory legal.
-Hayden
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

haydenstudios wrote:
mattallen37 wrote:Potentially, yes. However, what's that to Lego? Out of all the people with "bad" NXTs, probably less than 1% even know there is a way to fix them. Even less people would actually do it.
"What's that to Lego?". To LEGO, that would be stealing $150.00!
Okay, sorry, I didn't say that quite right. What I mean, is it's Lego's choice to not ask for the bad one back. They know you could be asking with intentions of cheating, but it's their choice. Lego guarantees their products, so it's good for them to replace them for free. Not returning the bad one (and using it) is not really stealing $150. Maybe it's $150 less that they could get on an order, but it probably costs them less than $30 for each one they hand out. They probably figure that reputation is better than a couple dollars. I know that I would rather pay Lego $10 than a random person $8 for the same thing. I know that Lego is good with their word, and I support that.
haydenstudios wrote:
dimasterooo wrote:I had to send them mine, but I didn't have the receipt... so I'm not sure if you gotta if you got the receipt
Well, there you go. Then you could have a defective NXT, have LEGO replace it and provide your receipt so you get to keep your old one. After that, If you, like me, have a dad that would be willing to lend you his soldering kit, (or if you are 18 or older and have your own,) then you could repair the screen and would have gotten an extra NXT from Lego for free. While Lego would not grieve to hard over just $150.00 lost, that would not necessarily make my theory legal.
Yes you could, but you are refurbishing the NXT, not getting it for free. It's totally legal, just maybe not 100% ethical (although if it was wronging Lego, they would require a return).

BTW, I was about 12 or 13 when I started soldering on my own (only got burned once). ;)
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

mattallen37 wrote:
haydenstudios wrote:
Yes you could, but you are refurbishing the NXT, not getting it for free. It's totally legal, just maybe not 100% ethical (although if it was wronging Lego, they would require a return).

BTW, I was about 12 or 13 when I started soldering on my own (only got burned once). ;)
You're right. "ethical", is much more the word. This would technically not be illegal.
-Hayden
stryker001

Post by stryker001 »

I wish they'd replace mine... I bought it on ebay and the screen started dying, and I opened it up an (viola!) the caps that lead to the screen were horribly soldered. But lego said, since I bought it from someone other than LEGO, they wouldn't replace it. I could ship it to them and pay to repair it, but they wouldn't replace it. :(