New user with some questions

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
toxoph

New user with some questions

Post by toxoph »

Hello all, New member here and first time post.

I basically have a couple questions to see if I am "on track" to be able to do what I want.

I am just getting back into robotics after a long layoff. I bought the original Mindstorms RIS 1.0 somewhere around 1999/2000. I used it fo a few years and found it a great mind exercise and relaxation therapy. I expanded it with an additional brick (1.0 also) and addons. I had started using the NQC programing firmware and loved it and the expanded capabilities it offered. Family life took over and it fell by the wayside. I am currently divorced and single (after 30 years) and have joint custody of my 12 yo son. Now I want to introduce him to robotics. He is a budding scientist and loves LEGOS, I figured technics/Mindstorms was a natural fit and progression.

I just bought a NXT 2.0 (to be delivered today) and "The LEGO mindstorms NXT 2.0 Discovery Book". My vision of what I want to do is, have my son use the NXT on his desktop/ Win XP computer and I use the the RCX on my laptop Win 7 machine. I want to use another mid-level language like the NQC while my son starts off, for now, using NXT-G. I would eventually like to introduce him to C programing (I have a lot to learn also). After he gets a bit familiar with the NXT, I want to have Sumo contests. I also want to become a Boy Scout Robotics merit badge counseler.

So, after rambling a bit, heres my questions;

Will I run into issues with the RCX/Win 7 combo or the NXT/Win XP combo?
How can I get the serial (non USB) IR tower to work on my laptop?
Is it worth getting the RCX 2.0 software over the 1.0?
Should I get the RobotC firmware or is the NQC still available and nearly as good? (not sure I want to drop $70 on RobotC just yet)
assuming I have the converter cables, What RCX sensors/motors will work with the NXT?

Thanks so much for your time. I am sure I will have more questions as I get more into this.
We dont make 'em like they used to.
hassenplug

Re: New user with some questions

Post by hassenplug »

toxoph wrote:Hello all, New member here and first time post.
I am just getting back into robotics after a long layoff.
Welcome back.
toxoph wrote:Will I run into issues with the RCX/Win 7 combo or the NXT/Win XP combo?
How can I get the serial (non USB) IR tower to work on my laptop?
The really hard part here is finding a laptop with a serial port. Another option is to search e-bay for a USB tower.
toxoph wrote:Is it worth getting the RCX 2.0 software over the 1.0?
Should I get the RobotC firmware or is the NQC still available and nearly as good? (not sure I want to drop $70 on RobotC just yet)
No. You have no need for the RCX software. Maybe your son would (if he used the RCX), but not you. Just go with NQC. Then, you should easily be able to move into NXC for the NXT.
toxoph wrote:assuming I have the converter cables, What RCX sensors/motors will work with the NXT?
There is a cable available from LEGO Education that will allow you to connect RCX sensors and motors (all of them) to an NXT. You could also connect NXT motors to an RCX (but no encoder).

There are the answers to your question. Now, my suggestions (take them for what they're worth). I would suggest you direct most of your attention (money and time) into the NXT. Don't spend much money getting your RCX up to speed. The more you know about the NXT, the more you can help your son.

Maybe you could spend your 'alone' time working with the NXT, and family time with you on the RCX and your son on the NXT. Then, you should be able to answer his NXT question, but not become too advanced as to leave him in the dust and frustrated when the sumo matches come around.

Have fun and good luck
Steve
---> Link to lots of MINDSTORMS stuff under my picture --->
linusa

Post by linusa »

hassenplug wrote:
toxoph wrote: How can I get the serial (non USB) IR tower to work on my laptop?
The really hard part here is finding a laptop with a serial port. Another option is to search e-bay for a USB tower.
There are USB to serial adapters. They create a virtual COM-Port on your system. I'm working with one right now (not talking to a LEGO device though). Apparently tot all devices work with such adapters though.

Edit: You can also get "serial to Bluetooth" adapters, and use one regular "Bluetooth to USB" stick on your computer. That why you get a wireless serial connection.
RWTH - Mindstorms NXT Toolbox for MATLAB
state of the art in nxt remote control programming
http://www.mindstorms.rwth-aachen.de
MotorControl now also in Python, .net, and Mathematica
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
toxoph

Post by toxoph »

First of all, thanks to all for your suggestions, most appreciated.

What I have done is my son is doing the NXT with the standard NXT-G programing on his Win XP computer. I wanted him to get a better understanding of logical programing before I introduce him to NQC and then only if he wants to learn it. He really enjoys it and is working on a project for his Boy Scout Robotics merit badge. I work with my son with the NXT and we learn it together.

I set up on my Win 7 Laptop the Brixcc for my RCX and I got the serial IR tower to work perfectly, first time I might add, using a Radio Shack USB to Serial cable connection. The supplied software assigns the com port to the cable. I have really enjoyed getting back into using NQC. Right now I mostly cut and paste in code from sample programs to do what I want and I throw in some of my own personal coding. As I learn, I will do more original programing.

Again, thanks again

One question though, is there anywhere in the Brixcc help/guides that explains (other than the REM statements withing the programs) what the sample programs do and what hardware they are intended for?
We dont make 'em like they used to.