BricxCC won't re-compile

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
groundhogday

BricxCC won't re-compile

Post by groundhogday »

I can get BricxCC to run a "hello world" program once on an EV3, but I can't get it to recompile and run a "hello world 2".

I have spent several frustrating days, reinstalling; same results, OK first time compile, but zilch the second compile, even with a deliberate omission of the end of line ; the compiler does nothing.

A bit a background, my son has been given a EV3 kit for a school project and been told to do something with it ( I have the suspicion his teacher has been told do use the lego, but doesn't know the first thing about it).
We have sucessfully created a line following PID controller solution using the standard EV3 block software. Real clunky. My son is 17 and did some basic C programming last year, so he feels he is going backward this year. So I decided to look into C on the EV3 brick to see if we could programme a better algorithm.

We are running Windows 7 and connect by USB only ( we have no wifi dongle).

I am still a bit confused by the NQC , NXC flavours and the APIs. My first objective was to get something to work. I jumped with joy when I got a "hello world" to work OK the first time but then ran into this brick wall that changes to the program don't do anything.

Not sure if it is relevant, but I haven't followed any instruction to update firmware ( except using the standard Lego firmware update solution) as I don't want to risk a broken ev3 due to firm ware problem.

I followed the installation instruction on the BricxCC site and also from http://www.legomindstormsrobots.com/leg ... c-bricxcc/.
Same result, no second recompile.

I suppose there is a switch somewhere in compiler options, but I have to admit compiler , linker switches leave me totally confused. I can't find any instuctions how to use NQC without BrixcCC.

Can any one point me to a solution ?

Thanks
HaWe

Re: BricxCC won't re-compile

Post by HaWe »

hi,
I tried something similar before without issues.
After changing the program source code choose "save as" and then press "ctrl+F5".
Alrernatively, after saving you can compile by F5 and upload the program via F6 and then start it via the BCC Explorer tool on your EV3.

Anyway, IMO it makes no sense to fiddle around with BCC/C as long as there is no sensor API, no i2c-chaining, and no daisy-chaining at all.
groundhogday

Post by groundhogday »

Thanks very much for the info, I tried your suggestion,after another total re-install everything, your solution is working

Many thanks

You say
Anyway, IMO it makes no sense to fiddle around with BCC/C as there is no sensor API and no daisy-chaining at all.
From your other postings, I regard you opinion highly.
I'm not sure I'll need daisy chaining, I think that means connecting several bricks together, that's a long way off for me

I think API means Application Programming Interface, and I there is a directory called API and my test program is
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#include "C:\BricxCC\API\ev3_lcd.h"
#include "C:\BricxCC\API\ev3_command.h"

int main()
{
int i;
LcdInit();
LcdText(1, 0, 0, "Hello World2");
Wait(SEC_1);
LcdExit();
}

I think these API files came from the test release ( not sure), but I can't locate any documentation. I was planning to go thru more examples to figure out what is what.

Am I on the right track?
groundhogday

Post by groundhogday »

addendum

Although the above test will recompile ok, the nqc example files won't compile
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

there is no NQC for the EV3.
NQC is for the RCX,
NXC is for the NXT,
and CSLite C is for the EV3.

IMO at the current state CSLite C for the EV3 is not suitable for beginners, but maybe for experienced Linux system programmers.
At least for me everything is far too confusing, additionally the APIs are bugged and incomplete, so I meanwhile resigned and erased all CSLite C stuff from my harddisks.
groundhogday

Post by groundhogday »

Thx for the info.
In summary, the APIs seem to have no sensors yet.

That seems to mean, no C implementaion are yet available for the EV3 ( unless your a very hardened LInux programmer).

The only option seems to be to wait for the release 4 of RobotC ( promised shortly)

Thanks again
floydbloke

Post by floydbloke »

Or switch to leJOS / Java. It's quite a paradigm shift but development is very active, and the documentation, wiki and community support are great.