NXT won't connect

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
takeback

NXT won't connect

Post by takeback »

frustrating
NXT from education set 9797
installed the software
following the instructions as outlined in the manual
hook up brick to desktop w/ USB

does not recognize brick or indicate new hardware as manual says it should
when I open the mindstorms program it does not identify any brick as connected

thoughts?
h-g-t

Re: NXT won't connect

Post by h-g-t »

It would be worth installing the latest Fantom driver then trying again. Seems to help in a lot of cases.
http://us.mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/sup ... river.aspx

The NXT seems to be picky about the usb dongle, apparently it does not work with the chips in some dongles. I bought a cheap thumb-sized one from ebay for £1 which works fine but another (smaller and cheaper) one I bought later does not connect.

My apologies, just realised your problem was with basic usb and not bluetooth (which is much more common). The Fantom driver might still help though.
Last edited by h-g-t on 13 Sep 2011, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
mikejmcfarlane

Re: NXT won't connect

Post by mikejmcfarlane »

Seems surprisingly common. I had a similar prob trying to update the firmware.
As h-g-t says try the updated fantom driver.
I got mine working by putting in fresh alkaline batteries rather than rechargeables and using a high quality USB cable. The supplied cable seems 'tempremental'. There does seem a lot of vodoo around this area!
PS if you are on a mac, the Mindstorms NXT software runs a lot better with flash 9, not 10!