Bricx: Step 2 ... FAIL

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
michael_taylor

Bricx: Step 2 ... FAIL

Post by michael_taylor »

I'm TRYING to switch from NXT-G to Bricx. I've installed Bricx and assigned the compilers (I think). Now, I'm trying to download to my NXT brick. Uh ... F6 ... aaaaand ... momentary spinning wheel ... aaaand ... done. But the program never shows up on the NXT brick. I know it's connect (via usb), because when it's not Bricx kindly asks me to turn it on or move it closer.

I'm certain this is a 3rd grade problem (maybe even 2nd grade), but I can find out the fix for the life of me. I really did try to fix it on my own ... really I did. But FAIL happened.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using Bricx 3.3.8.9
afanofosc
Site Admin

Re: Bricx: Step 2 ... FAIL

Post by afanofosc »

I would recommend grabbing the latest test release zip from http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/test_releases/ and extract it over your existing install folder. Make sure that you save the zip to a FAT32 drive so that Windows does not attach NTFS streams to the zip that mark the files as unsafe since they were downloaded from the internet. Otherwise you will have to bring up the properties on all the files from the zip and "unblock" them before everything will work correctly.

The newer build should pop up a message saying that the download failed if it was unable to transfer the compiled executable to your NXT for some reason. The normal reason for not being able to download a file is fragmented flash memory or just plain no room left on the NXT. If the diagnostic tool says you have tons of free memory on your brick then it is probably fragmented. You can use NXT Explorer to defrag but sometimes it can fail to complete successfully. I normally just clear memory (on the Tools menu) and re-download the files I need using NXT Explorer. You can also clear memory from the NXT Explorer tool via File|Erase All...

Let me know if you still can't download after a defrag or after clearing your flash memory.

John Hansen
Multi-platform LEGO MINDSTORMS programming
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/
michael_taylor

Post by michael_taylor »

Thanks for the rapid reply, John.

Unfortunately, I'm still getting absolutely no response from Bricx or the NXT when I "download". It's very strange. Is there a log file that I might be able to crack open and check?
h-g-t

Post by h-g-t »

Have you tried 'compile' F5 to check your program is ok?

Have you tried some of the items in the 'Tools' menu to check communication with the brick?

Have you loaded the latest Fantom driver>
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
michael_taylor

Post by michael_taylor »

h-g-t, thanks for your response.

Yep, compile *appears* to be working fine, but only because nothing *appears* to be going wrong. F5, then spinny mouse icon, then ... I guess it compiled.

I'm sure my communication with the brick is working well. Bricx detects when it's not connected and when it is connected, so I think I'm good there.

Hmmm ... Fantom driver. What is this voodoo you speak of? Since I don't know what this is, I'm going to assume I goofed this up. I'll research this and get back to you.

Thanks again ... I really appreciate it!
michael_taylor

Post by michael_taylor »

I installed Fantom 1.1.3 ... no behavior change in Bricx. It's so very strange.

Just to clarify, here's exactly what I'm doing ...

1. Write some wicked cool NQC program in Bricx
2. I mash F5
3. Wait but a moment for the spinning mouse pointer to stop
4. Connect the NXT via USB
5. Tools > Find Brick
6. Verify the brick is connected by seeing a bunch of new "connected" options in Bricx
7. I hit F6
8. Wait for the spinning mouse pointer to stop
9. Check the NXT ... nothing new in Software Files

Can someone verify that I'm doing that part correctly? Is there some point in this process that I can verify that "it's working up to there"?

I feel a little silly. I AM a software engineer by trade and feel foolish that I can't get this working.

Thanks so much!
afanofosc
Site Admin

Post by afanofosc »

It sounds like you are compiling some really cool NQC code using the NQC compiler. The NQC compiler cannot download code to the NXT. You need to compile NXC code so that the NBC/NXC compiler is executed. That compiler can download code to the NXT.

It doesn't matter what brick you are connected to. The IDE uses the file extension to decide which compiler to launch.

John Hansen
michael_taylor

Post by michael_taylor »

AH HA! That's likely my problem.

Just to clarify, you can't write NXT code in NQC with Bricx? You have to use NXC?

I prefer NQC, but could certainly use NXC.
afanofosc
Site Admin

Post by afanofosc »

NXC is as similar to NQC as it can be, given the unique restrictions imposed on the compiler by the underlying LEGO NXT firmware. If you want to program your RCX then use NQC but if you want to program your NXT then use NXC.

John Hansen
michael_taylor

Post by michael_taylor »

Works like a charm now, John (et al). I really appreciate it.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming ...