Nxt-g book

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
jonnxt

Nxt-g book

Post by jonnxt »

I want to ask if anybody knows about a book that teach you how to program nxt-g (I want a book that starts with the basics/intermediate and ends up with really advanced stuff). I have the 9797 nxt set and the 2.0 software.
inxt-generation

Re: Nxt-g book

Post by inxt-generation »

jonnxt wrote:I want to ask if anybody knows about a book that teach you how to program nxt-g (I want a book that starts with the basics/intermediate and ends up with really advanced stuff). I have the 9797 nxt set and the 2.0 software.
There are, I believe, only two NXT-G programming specific books. They are the LEGO MindStorms NXT-G Programming Guide and The Art of LEGO MindStorms NXT-G Programming. They DO start at the basics, but I don't know how advanced they get, as I never needed them. Does this answer your question?
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
h-g-t

Post by h-g-t »

Not a book but might help - http://www.ortop.org/NXT_Tutorial/
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

inxt-generation wrote:They are the LEGO MindStorms NXT-G Programming Guide...
I have that book, the first edition anyway. It is awesome. It is completely novice friendly. Several years ago when I wanted to get better with NXT-G, this book was absolutely perfect. I promise that even if you were nine years old, you'd still be able to go from beginner to expert just by reading this book. Even though I read the first edition, the second edition can't possibly be that much different. I highly recommend it.
-Hayden
inxt-generation

Post by inxt-generation »

haydenstudios wrote:
inxt-generation wrote:They are the LEGO MindStorms NXT-G Programming Guide...
I have that book, the first edition anyway. It is awesome. It is completely novice friendly. Several years ago when I wanted to get better with NXT-G, this book was absolutely perfect. I promise that even if you were nine years old, you'd still be able to go from beginner to expert just by reading this book. Even though I read the first edition, the second edition can't possibly be that much different. I highly recommend it.
The second edition is updated for NXT-G V2.0.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
jonnxt

Post by jonnxt »

Now I´ve bought what i think is the old version of the book LEGO Mindstorms NXT-G Programming Guide.

Jon
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

If you got this:
Then nope. Your book is up to date.

If you got this:
Then don't worry about it. Almost everything in NXT-G 2.0 was also in NXT-G 1.0. And everything in NXT-G 1.0 is covered in that book. Having upgraded from 1.0 to 2.0, I guarantee that this book teaches you so well, that it will be extremely easy to figure out how to use the new stuff in NXT-G 2.0 even if it was the first edition that you read.
-Hayden
bungeshea

Post by bungeshea »

I really recommend Laurens Valks' LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT 2.0 Discovery Book. It starts you at the basics and slowly works its way up. It also has quite a few cool robots to build. Also check out The Unofficial LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT 2.0 Inventor’s Guide by the same author.