Programming Environment Recommendations

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
afanofosc
Site Admin

Re: Programming Environment Recommendations

Post by afanofosc »

I forgot to mention that all of my tools run on Linux and Mac OS X in one form or another. You can download the NeXTTools for Mac OS X or Linux or the NxtCC version of that utility for Mac OS X or Linux on the BricxCC utilities page. The NxtCC version includes a simple code editor with integrated compiler support, though it is a fairly rough first version with its share of flaws at this point.

John Hansen
Multi-platform LEGO MINDSTORMS programming
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/
legofoote

Post by legofoote »

Thanks for the info on Bricx CC. I think I'll give it a try.

Let me see if I understand this correctly first. Bricx CC is an IDE that supports various programming languages and their related NXT firmware. Is this correct? I remember downloading a version of Bricx CC two or three years ago and I couldn't make much of it, but that could have been a lack of understanding on my part.

Also, is NeXTTools sort of the Mac version of BricxCC?... I'll have to check your website and do some reading I suppose.

Finally, the main question, I suppose, of this post is this: Is there any way to port code from one environment to another (i.e. RobotC to NXC)? My guess is no, but before I go off recoding things (which is probably a good idea at this point anyway) I just want to make sure.

Thanks!
legofoote
legofoote.wordpress.com
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

very quick and simple answer based on your special requirements:

BCC for NXT ist most of all made to work with NXC or NBC.
It would be desirable if it worked also with NxOS because this is exponentially faster than the virtual machines (i.e., bytecode interpreters like NXC, RobotC, Java).
as both RobotC and NXC are not compliant to ANSI C standard you will make your code transcription laboriously manually by yourself.