Self balancing motor bike

Discussion specific to projects ideas and support.
mcsummation

Re: Self balancing motor bike

Post by mcsummation »

I did a "trial build" today to make sure the wheel/tires are the only parts I do not have. I have decided that is the case, so I will order them tomorrow and they should be here by the time I return from a little trip.

I had a lot of difficulty in building the bike from their "plans". There were several "take it partially apart, fix what they now say they did, then continue". However, on the next to the last step, the "Left Frame", I cannot see how the parts go together like they show. Do you have any suggestions?

I need to learn Lego Digital Designer (for documenting a robot design), so I am going to do a LDD build for this robot.
inxt-generation

Post by inxt-generation »

I'd not suggest LDD... It's just frustrating. I use the LDraw library of parts, and it's asscociated designing tools. It does have a steeper learning curve, and may take longer to make models in, but the end result is much nicer than LDD and gives you many more options like making instructions that look like an actual LEGO set.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
nxtstep1950

Post by nxtstep1950 »

You are right. The left side is a bit confusing.
What I did is trying to recreate some symetry with the right side and reinforce the left support of the NXT brick.
Instead of using the 13 holes beam, I have used a 5 holes beam, a space and a 7 holes beam.
The intermediate space is right enough to accept a "L" shape arm, like on the right side.

The gyro has been placed in the middle of the frame. The mast made of 11 holes beam is attached on its foot by the transversal axle and the middle of the mast is attached to a "U"shape setup supported by the NXT brick.

The NXT brick is positionned in the opposite side (display oriented to front) for better reading, buttons access and access to the DC power connector.

Please note that the measurement of L_base is 0,225 m and not 0,240 m as indicated previously. Sorry. :oops:

I hope it helps.

;) Rgds
nxtstep1950

Post by nxtstep1950 »

Here are pictures to highlight the explanation :

nxtstep1950

Post by nxtstep1950 »

;) Rgds
mcsummation

Post by mcsummation »

You really did make some additions - a kick stand and handlebars, even!

Well, I'm stuck until I can get the 2 wheel/tires.
nxtstep1950

Post by nxtstep1950 »

Yes, the handelbar is for the "look" ( :lol: ) and the kick stand helps nicely in order to have the model "in position" behind you.

You'r stuck for the hardware, but not for the software.
As we commit to realize the project using NXT-G environment, you can already have a deep look to the software of the HTWay (SegWay alike) designed by HiTechnic. It's on their blog site with quite a lot of explanations.
You only have to unzip the proposed file HTWay NXT-G V2

;) Rgds