University Robotics class using lego mindstorm. NEED HELP

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
ahaupt03

University Robotics class using lego mindstorm. NEED HELP

Post by ahaupt03 »

I am currently in my first semester of my first year of college. I, along with two of my peers, have been chosen to help teach an intro to robotics class. The class will start next semester. We will be working with three Lego Mindstorm education sets model 95. i am currently looking for any information, suggestions anyone is willing to give. I need to know various projects i could do, various software to buy, various LEGO sets that would help to achieve further learing of robotics by college level students. Please keep in mind this is a 300 level class. If any ideas are proposed for anything i need the most information as possible on your findings/knowledge. Thank you for your help.
-Amanda-
muntoo

Re: University Robotics class using lego mindstorm. NEED HELP

Post by muntoo »

If you've done C before, you may want to look at the free, widely used (at least, on these forums) NXC (it's free). And it's the easiest to set up, IMHO.

There's also RobotC ($30), nxtOSEK (free), and others.

If you want Java, there's Lejos.

Can you tell us what you'll be doing?

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
milluzaj

Re: University Robotics class using lego mindstorm. NEED HELP

Post by milluzaj »

Hello!

I might have some insights for this sort of class. Let me ask you a few questions. What are your learning objectives? Mechatronics? Design principals?

From that I can direct you a few different ways. (And depending on what you describe I might have some projects for you out of the box!)
Blog: 08milluz.wordpress.com
LMS Shuttle: facebook.com/lmsshuttle