Temperature Sensor: Where's the block in NXT-G?

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
timpattinson

Re: Temperature Sensor: Where's the block in NXT-G?

Post by timpattinson »

tomaldis wrote: Is there any Python-based NXT software?
Haven't tried it, but looks good: NXT-Python
Commit to Lego Mindstorms StackExchange Q&A http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/4105
Minboards IRC Channel #mindboards on Freenode
My blog: http://timpattinson.wordpress.com/
bungeshea

Post by bungeshea »

h-g-t wrote:I wouldn't buy an Education set just to get a specific part - you can pick up the bits you need much cheaper on ebay.
I think he's talking about buying the NXT-G Edu Software, not LEGO pieces.

Are you asking about the NXT Temp Sensor or the RCX Legacy Temp Sensor? Because they are different and have a different NXT-G block. The block for the RCX sensor is free, but the NXT Temp sensor block only can be obtained with the NXT-G Edu Software.
tomaldis

Post by tomaldis »

Yeah, it's the software I'm after, really. And the sensor I'm talking about here is the newer, digital sensor.

I did notice that the Retail NXT-G software does handle the old temp. sensor and have considered that route - if I go that way, though, I'll need to buy the adapter that allows you to use old style sensors with the new nxt 2.0 kit, won't I? I've also heard that the readings it gives aren't as accurate.

Either way I look at this, there's going to be some financial outlay required, but:-

Cost of digital temperature sensor: £30
Cost of NXT-G Education software: £40
Value of happy, coffee-drinking girlfriend looking at CoffeeBot in disbelief and with an admiration leading to strong sexual feelings (towards me, not the robot): Priceless

Think I'll buy the sensor first and try and figure out Brian Davis' block with all its I2C weirdness. If I can't, I'll breath a heavy (expensive) sigh and buy the Education software.

Unless the StudBrickMaster wants to lend me his copy? We could arrange for you to 'accidentally' drop it somewhere near my house. Or into a mailbox. I could 'find' it and then, seeing your address clearly labelled on it, send it straight back to you. Yep.

Thanks to Tim Pattinson for the Python link. Python I can just about understand.
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

tomaldis wrote:I did notice that the Retail NXT-G software does handle the old temp. sensor and have considered that route - if I go that way, though, I'll need to buy the adapter that allows you to use old style sensors with the new nxt 2.0 kit, won't I? I've also heard that the readings it gives aren't as accurate.

Think I'll buy the sensor first and try and figure out Brian Davis' block with all its I2C weirdness. If I can't, I'll breath a heavy (expensive) sigh and buy the Education software.

Unless the StudBrickMaster wants to lend me his copy? We could arrange for you to 'accidentally' drop it somewhere near my house. Or into a mailbox. I could 'find' it and then, seeing your address clearly labelled on it, send it straight back to you. Yep.
Yes you would need an RCX->NXT adapter. The RCX Temp sensor uses a thermistor. It is only as precise as the NXT ADC (10-bit), and only as accurate as the tolerance of the sensor, wires, and math you use.

The digital temp sensor is (IIRC) 10-bit (maybe 12?). There should be a (documented) very accurate calculation you can use to get the temp in K, C, or F. Actually, the sensor itself might even calculate it for you.

Once you understand the logic of what you want, it should be fairly easy to write the program in NXC. The main thing you need to learn that is specific to NXC, is APIs and syntax (though syntax is like C). NXC should allow easy access to the digital temp sensor values.

I am not suggesting you illegally copy the SW, but you don't need physical access to the CD. All you need is the ISO (digital image of the CD). ISO files can be transferred over the internet.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

mattallen37 wrote:I am not suggesting you illegally copy the SW, but you don't need physical access to the CD. All you need is the ISO (digital image of the CD). ISO files can be transferred over the internet.
The only good mounting software out there (free of adware/spyware/etc)* is Virtual CloneDrive. ;)

* No seriously, don't download anything else without a thorough background check. Even some of the once-popular ones have bad stuff. [Reference]
Have fun not doing illegal stuff. :twisted:
Last edited by muntoo on 22 Jun 2011, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
tomaldis

Post by tomaldis »

To MattAllen37: The idea of finding a copy lying on the pavement somewhere has a wonderful poetic legitimacy about it that is lacking in fishing it out of a torrent. I'd feel like a poacher...

That being said - theoretically - could I burn an ISO and use it like a regular disc, rather than mounting it? (as Muntoo says, can't rely on mounting software not to mess with yr. computer).
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

Well, I think either would be just as illegal without permission from the owners of the SW.

Sure you can burn an ISO to a disk, but I prefer to use "Virtual CloneDrive" (as Muntoo mentioned).
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

Let's not go over the line (if we haven't already). You wouldn't want the banhammer to get angry! ;)

Again, Virtual CloneDrive (so far) is good. (I recommend it.) There's also 7-Zip if you want to extract the files, but it doesn't mount them.

I'm pretty sure you'll find NXT-G sort of useless (other than a "starting point"), and suggest you try NXC.

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

You could also save yourself the trouble and get the Dexter Industries thermal probe and the associated NXT-G block for that. I have it and it works great. It's also cheaper than the LEGO one.

- Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
tomaldis

Post by tomaldis »

Hey, I couldn't steal the Education software if I tried - I wouldn't seriously ask anyone to send it to me, and internet search engines come up dry on the torrent front. Not that I've tried that. Someone told me that that was the case.

I do think asking £40 for the software is a little steep. So thanks for the info, Mightor. I am indeed intrigued by the Dexter Thermal Sensor. I like how it plugs straight in without any need for an adapter. How simple is the accompanying NXT-G block - is it a block, or a series of blocks that require me to have quite in-depth knowledge? Also, where does one download the block from?

I fully expect to 'graduate' from NXT-G to NXC, in time (perhaps 300 or so posts from now), but right now I'm only really playing around (just built a robot nicknamed SurvivorBot, who crawls forward by the strength of his hands, dragging two broken legs behind him, occasionally screaming out 'Dear God, help me!' - it utilised the Nintendo Wiimote for movement [which, by the way, was surprisingly simple to implement]).

I'm looking for a similar kind of simplicity here. There's still plenty of time to get complex before the end of the year.