Removing battery compartment/Charger?

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
yuvalnv

Removing battery compartment/Charger?

Post by yuvalnv »

Getting back to my NXT (1st version) after 2 years of not doing so :oops:
I'm thinking of taking off the bulky battery compartment and connecting 9V directly using a charger.
I saw that there are 4 screws attaching the compartment to the NXT brain.
Is there anything else I need to do to get it out?
Any recommendations of a simple way to get rid of batteries are welcome.
Sorry if I'm raising a well beaten issue, but the search here didn't yield the results I expected.

EDIT: While I'm still looking for an answer how to remove/detach the battery compartment, I found a temporary and simple solution here: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/audio-vid ... amera.aspx

Thanks.
nxtreme

Re: Removing battery compartment/Charger?

Post by nxtreme »

If you're not afraid of a soldering iron and you think you know enough about electronics to not fry your NXT, you may find Philo's website interesting (you don't need to know enough, just need to think you know enough ;)). http://philohome.com/nxtsupply/nxtsupply.htm

I wouldn't recommend removing the battery housing though, that's a bit extreme and requires desoldering the battery contacts which could stress and maybe ruin your NXT motherboard.
One King to rule them all, One King to find them,
One King to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
On Earth where Shadows lie.
doc222

Re: Removing battery compartment/Charger?

Post by doc222 »

well those 4 screws hold the case shell, its 2 piece. So you can not remove it without leaving it open. I would do as sugjested in a power out that could run it or run other thing off it. I have done tha later with my project and it runs great 1nxt with 6 batteries runs, the nxt, 4 Mmuxs fine with 11 nxt servos. saved alot of weight and runs more than long enough for me.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein