Going from education to real world applicable

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
nullpntr

Going from education to real world applicable

Post by nullpntr »

I got into mindstorms to learn about robotics. Which seems to be it's intended use. It's relatively easy to connect the sensors and rig up the parts to make whatever. Most projects I find that people have come up with are exactly that. Picking up/sorting colored balls, following a line, etc..

i've been thinking what would it actually take to go to the next level with this? Say for example I've created a small robot that can navigate a certain area and pick up the little balls and put them in a box. Not that interesting really, but what if I could make it bigger and have it navigate my closet and pick up laundry that I'm too lazy to put up?

In the end not a horribly useful bot, but i only use it as an example.

For that bot you'd have to have strength in the arms and a motor that can lift heavier objects, you'd have to be able to drive while holding said heavy objects.

I guess I'm just wondering what is the next logical step to take a prototype mindstorms project and turn it into a real world application.
pepijndevos

Re: Going from education to real world applicable

Post by pepijndevos »

Interesting thought.

I'm my experience, the default Mindstorms sensors are only useful in controlled environments, but with the more advance sensors from MindSensors and HiTechnic, I'm sure some real-world applications could be made with LEGO.

I've always wanted to make a Roomba with the NXT. Maybe one could tow around a "kruimeldief" (see image) with a NXT?

-- Pepijn
http://studl.es Mindstorms Building Instructions
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

I tried to show you sth, but I can't upload a zip file (8.2 MByte)

@admins: - why not?
hassenplug

Post by hassenplug »

nullpntr wrote:I got into mindstorms to learn about robotics. Which seems to be it's intended use. It's relatively easy to connect the sensors and rig up the parts to make whatever. Most projects I find that people have come up with are exactly that. Picking up/sorting colored balls, following a line, etc..

i've been thinking what would it actually take to go to the next level with this?
I suggest you still start with one of those simple projects. One of the worst things you can do is set your goals too big for your first project.

After you get a couple little projects working, then go crazy and see what you can really do.

Steve
---> Link to lots of MINDSTORMS stuff under my picture --->
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

Again, not sure if I understand you correctly - ...
I once started programming with NQC for the RCX brick and began writing programs in subsumption architecture, e.g. for a bumper car.
These works slowly made some progress and it was real fun.

Together with a friend we got the idea to make it real big and mount it on a electric lawn mower chassis to make applicatable for the real world, using some 12V DC industry motors together with H-bridges and some relais, additionally a dozen of micro switches and a handfull of Sharp IR distance sensors.

Here is the link, maybe it helps you or gives you some inspiration:
http://www.mindstormsforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=6892
nullpntr

Post by nullpntr »

pepijndevos wrote:Interesting thought.

I'm my experience, the default Mindstorms sensors are only useful in controlled environments, but with the more advance sensors from MindSensors and HiTechnic, I'm sure some real-world applications could be made with LEGO.

I've always wanted to make a Roomba with the NXT. Maybe one could tow around a "kruimeldief" (see image) with a NXT?

This is a good example of what I'm talking about. To build a robot to wield a heavy object like that out of lego doesn't seem like it could happen. Maybe i could tote it on wheels but what if you want it to lift the vacuum to do the sofa too? NXT is a good controller. Maybe there are ways to link it to more powerful motors and gears made by 3rd parties. But really you'd need a stronger base, a strong arm, a gripping mechanism, etc. As if it wasn't complicated enough.. Or maybe it's just about entirely possible with enough motors and enough technic parts. I'm not at that bridge this is just me thinking out loud. Specifically because I was thinking about something that could pop a beer cap off for me. Seems like an easy enough chore, but you'd be surprise how much pressure is needed to pop those dang things..
pepijndevos

Post by pepijndevos »

If you look at the Truck Trial guys, you'd be surprised by the sheer size and power of these Lego trucks.

Other than that, I think the Raspberi Pi is a great thing for real applications, especially with the Gertboard: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/411

I used to make RC planes, so up to a reasonable size, you could have a look over at http://www.rctechnics.eu/ forr servos, engines, hinges, control rods, etc. Plywood and glua go a long way.

You could even make UAV's for $200 and change the army millions for it.
-- Pepijn
http://studl.es Mindstorms Building Instructions