Power Functions Alternate Power Supply Methods

Discuss anything and everything. Keep it clean (or else).
porty6600

Power Functions Alternate Power Supply Methods

Post by porty6600 »

Are there any alternate ways to supply power to PF motors? The battery box is bulky and kind of difficult to install into small machines such as a bike.

Thanks in advance,
porty6600
mattallen37

Re: Power Functions Alternate Power Supply Methods

Post by mattallen37 »

Sure, a 9v battery would work. There is even a lego 9v battery box.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
porty6600

Post by porty6600 »

Thanks. Okay, I picked the one I would like to use, but I wasn't sure if it will power all of the following PF items:
2 M-Motors
1 Set of Lights
1 IR Receiver
1 Control Switch

Thanks, porty6600
inxt-generation

Post by inxt-generation »

porty6600 wrote:Thanks. Okay, I picked the one I would like to use, but I wasn't sure if it will power all of the following PF items:
2 M-Motors
1 Set of Lights
1 IR Receiver
1 Control Switch

Thanks, porty6600
Which did you decide?
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
porty6600

Post by porty6600 »

Woops! I meant to post the link! Here it is: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=5391-1
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

Keep in mind that a 9V block battery usually has between 150 and 250 mAh versus about 1500-2500mAh for 6xAA. So your motors won't run for as long as a normal power supply.

- Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
porty6600

Post by porty6600 »

mightor wrote:Keep in mind that a 9V block battery usually has between 150 and 250 mAh versus about 1500-2500mAh for 6xAA. So your motors won't run for as long as a normal power supply.

- Xander
That does not sound good! What exactly does that mean? The battery life?
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

Well, think of a mAh (milliamp Hour) of a unit of power capacity. The more units you have, the longer you can provide power. OK, now say you are using a motor that draws 150mA when driving a small motor cycle. If your battery has a capacity of 300mAh, it will theoretically power your motor for 300 mAh/ 150mA == 2 hours. So naturally, if you are using 6x 2100 mAh 1.5V AA batteries, your motor will last 2100 mAh/150mA == 14 hours.

This is theoretical, of course. If you are going the route of the 9V battery block, which is nice and compact and light, I would recommend using rechargeable batteries, or you'll end up spending a fortune on these.

Regards,
Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
porty6600

Post by porty6600 »

mightor wrote:Well, think of a mAh (milliamp Hour) of a unit of power capacity. The more units you have, the longer you can provide power. OK, now say you are using a motor that draws 150mA when driving a small motor cycle. If your battery has a capacity of 300mAh, it will theoretically power your motor for 300 mAh/ 150mA == 2 hours. So naturally, if you are using 6x 2100 mAh 1.5V AA batteries, your motor will last 2100 mAh/150mA == 14 hours.

This is theoretical, of course. If you are going the route of the 9V battery block, which is nice and compact and light, I would recommend using rechargeable batteries, or you'll end up spending a fortune on these.

Regards,
Xander
Thanks, I think I understand now. Would you still go this route? And I didn't see an answer on my power supply post above your first one.

porty6600
inxt-generation

Post by inxt-generation »

porty6600 wrote:
mightor wrote:Well, think of a mAh (milliamp Hour) of a unit of power capacity. The more units you have, the longer you can provide power. OK, now say you are using a motor that draws 150mA when driving a small motor cycle. If your battery has a capacity of 300mAh, it will theoretically power your motor for 300 mAh/ 150mA == 2 hours. So naturally, if you are using 6x 2100 mAh 1.5V AA batteries, your motor will last 2100 mAh/150mA == 14 hours.

Regards,
Xander
Thanks, I think I understand now. Would you still go this route? And I didn't see an answer on my power supply post above your first one.

porty6600
You should be fine with that. The recommended rating per battery box by LEGO is: 4 PF M-Motors, or 2 PF XL-Motors. Those ratings take into account powering the IR-Receiver. You should be fine with 2 m-motors and a light. The control switch shouldn't make a difference. Just be aware, as Xander said, that a 9-volt box battery won't last as long as 6 double or triple a.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"